- Pitchers and catchers reported yesterday (and commercials were filmed).
- The rest of the team is required to report by next Saturday (February 16th).
- First Spring Training game is at home (but the Rockies are the away team) against the Diamondbacks on February 23rd.
- First official “home” Spring Training game at beautiful Talking Stick is the following day, against the same team on February 24th.
- The World Baseball Classic begins on March 2nd and Rockies Carlos Gonzalez and Ramon Hernandez are the only two Rockies you have heard of that are playing in the event. (There is a third, David Kandilas, who is playing for Australia. Kandilas has not played higher than A ball in his two seasons in the Rockies organization.) This might change before the event, but it is not looking likely.
- The Rockies open the season on April 1st against Ryan “those PEDs ain’t mine” Bruan and the Milwaukee Brewers in Milwaukee.
- The Rockies first game at Coors Field is on Friday, April 5th against the San Diego Padres and Chase Headley – he of Fountain, Colorado and out-of-nowhere-solid-hitting-third-baseman fame from last year.
- The Rockies square off with the new uber-spending club in baseball, the Los Angeles Dodgers, on Monday, April 29th in L.A. The Dodgers payroll for 2013 is $217 million, or, about $7 million MORE than the New York Yankees. Move over, Gotham, there is a new big spender in the league.
What are you MOST looking forward to in 2013? Me? I am just looking forward to sitting in Coors, on a hot summer day, watching baseball.